Saving a buck or two is something I love to do, especially since I found out we spend 47% of our income on food! Yikes! Is it me or is food becoming more expensive?
This week, the theme for our #SundaySupper is budget-friendly meals. (You know I had to get in on that one!)
We all have different levels of comfort or budget, but here are some tips to save a buck:
I choose to make Beef Taco Soup this week since it uses only a handful of ingredients. Twice a week, I make dishes with meat and I also make sure the meat is high-quality and organic. You may step back and say “HELLO, organic meat is not cheap,” but if you know where to shop you can find a good deal.
It may just require some detective work or purchasing through an online reputable place. Although we are on a budget, I still have high standards for my food. Our local store sells organic beef for $5.99, which ironically, is the same price as the conventional.
The total for this recipe cost me roughly $11.50 and serves 4 making this LESS than a $3 per serving meal!
Beef Taco Soup #SundaySupper
Soup hearty on flavor and not on your wallet
Course: Lunch and Dinner, Main Course
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1pound ground beef or turkey, organic if budget permits
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz vegetable broth
- 1tbsp chili powder
- 1teaspoon cumin powder
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and cook meat until no longer pink. Remove from skillet and put on a plate.
- If need be, add more olive oil and return skillet to medium heat. Saute onion and pepper for 8-10 minutes until onions are translucent and peppers soften
- Return meat to pan and add chili powder and cumin. *See note
- Add tomatoes and broth until desired consistency is reached. I used less than a whole can of broth.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30-45 minutes. Optional, serve with shredded cheese.
Note 1: Instead of chili powder and cumin, you can always substitute a taco seasoning pack.
Note 2: I used less than a can of broth and saved the remainder for another use.